Findings

By making a series of quick study models, I documented the most comfortable and uncomfortable places for a wearable device.

 

Prototyping

Aside from making study models, I also set out to create a proof of concept. The goal was to prove that it could be achieved using simple circuitry and to gain a better understanding of electronics in general.

The proof of concept was made on a breadboard using an Arduino Uno and cheap electronic parts. I learned how to solder, gained an understanding of circuitry, and learned how to program the microcontroller. After making a fully reactive and functioning proof of concept, I proceeded to create a prototype using sewable electronics and e-textiles. I chose to make a belt despite my study model findings due to scale limitations.

The prototype worked for about 30 seconds before an electric arc caused it to catch fire. Lesson learned: give ample space between positive and ground leads. C'est la vie!